High Level Reporting Mechanism Argentina
Argentina launched an HLRM in January 2018. In the pilot phase launched in April 2018, it applied to public-private partnership (PPP) contracts under a Ministry of Highways project to develop 7,500 km of new highways and safe routes. The 12-year road infrastructure project involved a total expenditure of USD 35 billion, with around USD 12 billion spent during the first phase alone (2015–2019). The first round of contracts were awarded in July 2018.
In September 2018, the Anticorruption Office reactivated the HLRM to apply to a new PPP tender for electricity transmission. The project involves the construction of new high-voltage electricity transmission lines with a scope of more than 3,000 kilometres overseen by the Ministry of Treasury.
How the Argentine HLRM Works
The Argentine HLRM is located under the Secretary for Public Ethics, Transparency, and Fight Against Corruption within the Anti-Corruption Office overseen by the President. The HLRM is composed of the Secretary for Public Ethics, Transparency, and Fight Against Corruption, the Undersecretary of Integrity and Transparency, and the Undersecretary of Anti-corruption Investigations.
Alerts submitted to Argentina’s HLRM are assessed within 48 hours by the Unit for Admission and Referral of Complaints. If the issues are within scope – i.e. relating to collusion, bribery, conflicts of interest or any other form of unfair treatment of bidders – the HLRM is activated.
The HRLM’s Group of Experts then addresses the issue with the goal of finding a quick, practical and fair solution. Members include two technical representatives proposed by the College of Engineers, a technical representative proposed by the Anti-Corruption Office and a representative of the Anti-Corruption Studies Centre of the University of San Andrés, Buenos Aires.
OECD Integrity Forum 2018: Presentation of the HLRM in Argentina
- Anticorruption Office: FAQ HLRM
- National Roads Authority (Vialidad Nacional) HLRM Page
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Roundtable on the pilot High Level Reporting Mechanism in Argentina (also available in Spanish)
Presentation: Implementation of the High Level Reporting Mechanism in Argentina
HLRM Argentina timeline
2016 - 2017
- Initial consultations between the Argentine government and the OECD and Basel Institute regarding the HLRM concept and its potential application in Argentina.
- Passage of Decree 117/2017, implementing Law 27328 of 2016 creating new regime for Public Private Partnership (PPP) contracts in Argentina
- Scoping mission by the OECD and Basel Institute to consult with relevant government and external stakeholders and development and debate on technical options for the HLRM.
- Launch of the HLRM